Pelindaba Nuclear Research Center 25°48'S 27°54'E
Church Street Extension West
Republic of South Africa
The Atomic Energy Board was founded in 1948, and in 1961 the board moved from Pretoria to its existing site at Pelindaba near Hartbeespoort Dam approximately 30-35 km West of Pretoria. In the mid-1960s the South African nuclear weapons program moved from downtown Pretoria to the Pelindaba Nuclear Research Center.
"Pelindaba" is derived from the words pelile meaning "finished." and 'indaba' meaning "discussion".
The Pelindaba site consists of 2300 hectares of which around 54 hectares are building space.
This AEC site includes the Safari-1 research reactor, a hot cell complex, a waste disposal site, and conversion and fuel fabrication facilities.
Facilities at Pelindaba include: (click on link below)